Monday, May 21, 2012

Redoing My Parents' Master Bedroom

My parents master bedroom has always been the dumping ground. When I was young, every time we cleaned for a gathering or party at our house, a large majority of the excess stuff we had lying around was tossed into a corner of my parents room. The Good Will pile of things to be donated sat in the long hallway to their bedroom, spilling over out of its box and onto the floor, tripping passersby. Long story short. It was, and is, a mess, and they deserve better. I am home for a while this summer and have begun planning a big redesign of their room.

It started when I saw this pillow at Cost Plus World Market:


I instantly loved the colors, the pattern, and the over all look. I took a picture and texted it to my mom. She liked it too! The pillow works well with the Spanish style feel of her house and the colors and pattern are young and fun, also like her! She's also always had a soft spot for the color orange. Which probably explains why her house is the color of a halloween pumpkin. But in a good way! :) 

I used the pillow as a jumping off point for designing the room and embraced it's color scheme of burnt red-orange, dark teal, pale creamy-yellow, and natural California-early-summer-grass-green. These will be mixed with a large number of textured neutrals

The room will have a Spanish feel, like my parent's house and Mission style bed, but also an industrial feel that alludes to my father's race car driver past and never dying love of cars. 

I threw some ideas around and eventually came up with this board. Please excuse the unprofessionalness of it. I had little time before I needed to show her the idea. 


That should give you a rough idea of what I have planned. I know its messy. A bunch of those photos are straight off my phone and not great quality. Anyways, here's the plan of things I need to do:

  • New layout with foot of bed pointing towards door
  • Reusing their current cherry bed and Dad's oak dresser
  • Bringing two dressers from their dining room, one for Dad's bedside table, the other for Mom's clothes
  • Turing Mom's bedside table dresser at an angle, to use the space of the corner 
  • Hanging a mirror with rope from the ceiling above Mom's bedside table dresser so it can be used as a vanity
  • Finding a large mirror or basket to use as a focal point above the bed
  • Buying two medium size chairs (one feminine, the other masculine) for a seating area at the end of the bed
  • Sewing an ottoman poof for additional can-be-tucked-away seating
  • Finding a table big enough for a laptop, book, and glass of water, but small enough to fit between the two chairs at the end of the bed
  • Redoing the dresser inherited from my Great Aunt Alma to be used as a bedside table 
  • Hanging neutral colored curtains from the ceiling at the four corners of the bed to simulate a canopy
  • Creating a large gallery wall with mostly white frames, but with added color popping frames mixed in
  • Using an old rake to hang Mom's necklaces
  • Finding a large car inspired picture to hang over Dad's bedside table. Perhaps I could repaint this but in the colors of the room?

And here is what I'm lucky enough to avoid:
  • Painting the room-- it's already the soft pale yellow
  • Purchasing dressers-- my parents have one unused one in their bonus room, and the other two from the dining room will be replaced with the large dark wood stained armoir that currently resides in my parent's bedroom, but clashes with the light wood
  • Buying a poof-- they seem ridiculously over priced! Plus my mother is an excellent seamstress, so I'm putting her on the job. 
  • Purchasing art-- my old bedroom is full of frames and pictures/paintings that need a home, anything else I want/need I will attempt to duplicate myself (I am minoring in Studio Art, time to put those skills to work!)
  • Finding curtains-- my mom is incredibly attached to the cute ikea ones she already owns
  • Buying bedding-- although I will definitely purchase some orange sheets, a bunch of pillows, and possibly a throw blanket or two, the actual comforters and main blankets are already owned. My mom sewed a pretty denim duvet for her comforter a few years ago. They'll use this in the winter. They also own a lovely white blanket that they use in fall. As these both go with the color scheme, why waste money buying new ones?
  • Buying a rug-- my mother inherited one from my Great Aunt Alma that contains lots of dark teal and burnt orange. We're keeping it!

If you would like to see more of my inspiration pictures and ideas, check out my Pinterest Board. Don't be shocked by some of the paintings though, my mother is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and I had to throw in a few that reference that! heehee 

I'll be posting more updates as things progress. The project cannot truly start however, until work on their master bathroom renovation begins finishes up!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...